The 50L duffel from Aasgard is a very exciting idea — massive space in a weatherproof simple duffel with backpack straps. (The shoulder straps could use an update though.)
- Massive capacity — 50L is HUGE! Tons of space for everything.
- Kinda uncomfortable — if you pack it out really full it’s not the most comfortable bag. When it’s not too heavy, it’s totally fine.
- No laptop pocket — adds a little hassle to TSA security.
- Weather proof — fabric and zips are excellent at handling weather and keeping your gear dry.
- Tons of handles and lash points — grip it, rip it, clip it.
Other Bags to Check Out:
The Blink & Wander packs from Timbuk2 are tough, rigid little numbers for travel with unfortunately weak feeling zippers.
The Outbreaker backpack from Tortuga is a solid 1-bag travel pick. I personally prefer the less bulky (and more spacious) experience of traveling with the Tortuga Setout, so be sure to check out that bag too. This Outbreaker, however, has quite a bit more padding and protection around the entire bag, so if you know you'll have delicate stuff inside you may prefer this one.
Is this just, like the most quality built affordable carry-on travel backpack? It just might be.
The Topo Travel bag has a playful style, which I like a lot, but it is very serious about being a great travel bag. This is a classic.
Miles the Duffel 40L from Millican is a sturdy little companion for travel (so long as you don't have to walk long distances with your bag!).