The Topo Travel bag has a playful style, which I like a lot, but it is very serious about being a great travel bag. This is a classic.
- Aesthetically interesting — I love the modern-vintage vibe of Topo gear… feels like something a drop out rock climber from the 70s would have in his toyota camry hatchback.
- Solid capacity in 30L, massive in 40L:
- the 30L is actually the one I’d encourage people to travel with more because it looks better, is nicer to carry and will fit in more airplane carry-on rules.
- But if you’re worried about everything fitting, 40L is maximum carry on size.
- The whole thing opens clamshell, so it’s easy to pack/unpack
- Built really great —
- 1000D nylon, 400D nylon pack cloth, 210D nylon pack cloth liner, 1680D ballistic nylon on select colors
- Heavy-duty YKK zippers
- Better than average organization:
- Quick access with internal org
- Org panel
- Interior organization on main compartment
- 40L has an extra layer of organization inside the main compartment.
- Some nice bonus travel features:
- Luggage passthrough
- Small bag clips
- Zipper security for main compartment and org panel
- Handles on all three sides
- Solid and a little sweaty to carry:
- Comfy straps with load lifters.
- Removable hip belt… just nylon webbing on the 30L but the 40L has some fatty padding.
- No ventilation on the back… just some 1000D ballistic nylon. So it’s likely to get sweaty, but I personally can’t avoid that.
- Straps can stow away and you can use a shoulder strap to carry as a duffel.
Material Choice:Sub-Par Satisfactory Excellent
Build Quality:Sub-Par Satisfactory Excellent
Water Resistance:Sub-Par Satisfactory Excellent
External Access:Sub-Par Satisfactory Excellent
Internal Organization:Sub-Par Satisfactory Excellent
Carry Comfort:Sub-Par Satisfactory Excellent
Doesn't Look Weird:Sub-Par Satisfactory Excellent
Other Bags to Check Out:
The Pakt One travel bag is a stylish and extremely well thought through over-the-shoulder bag for conscientious travelers.
The Duffelpack from Peak Design expands from 45L to 65L (a little too large for carry-on on most airlines), has backpack straps that hide away, is made of weatherproof material and is a durable and organized companion for LOTS of different kinds of adventures.
The Travel Bag from Nomatic is a solid offering in one bag travel.
The Mover Pack is an affordable duffel with simple backpack straps, solid materials and a few solid pockets for organization.
The X25 from RiutBag is an utterly functional travel and daily conversion backpack that also has an important security feature.